Australians love their hatchbacks, and despite the influx of SUVs on our nation’s roads, there is still much to be said for the humble five-door. Offering ample performance from higher-spec variants, enough space to comfortably carry four or five people including some luggage, and offering the best in manoeuvrability for inner-city dwellers – oh, and not to mention great fuel efficiency – it’s no wonder car manufacturers continue to release new hatchback models each year.
Of course, hatchbacks come in all shapes and sizes, from small cars (including tiny city cars) to performance cars and family cars, no matter what your needs, there’s a wide range of hatchbacks to choose from!. By choosing the best hatchback for your needs and budget in 2022, you can find the perfect vehicle for you and your family.
We've rounded up our top ten hatchbacks on the Australian market right now so you can make your final decision before heading down to the dealer to drive your favourite. And if you’re looking for your best car finance options, we can help with that too!
One last thing.
At the end of the article, you will also find classic hatchbacks that have been on Driva’s ‘best of’ list since 2022. Skip to them with the table of contents to check them out!
Here are the best new models due to hit Aussie streets in 2023…
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - from $49,890
Say hello to the revamped 2023 Mercedes-Benz A-Class, slated for Australian arrival in July 2023. Showcasing a fresh look, enriched interior, and the incorporation of mild-hybrid technology for some European models, this upgraded compact sedan exudes style and sophistication. Expected to offer an experience similar to its predecessor, this sleek machine teases a thrilling encounter with the German automaker's timeless elegance and uncompromising performance.
Fuel economy: Depends on Variant
Fuel tank capacity: Depends on Variant
Engine: Range includes 1.3-litre turbo four-cylinder, 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder, 1.3-litre plug-in hybrid; all petrol.
Maximum power: Ranges from 100kW in the A180 to 310kW in the AMG A45 S.
- Refined visual design including new LED headlight and tail-light signatures, sharper front grille, new alloy wheel designs.
- Upgraded interior featuring dual 10.25-inch screens running the latest MBUX software, wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.
- Advanced safety suite with a refined lane-keeping assist system, and a 3D view for the 360-degree camera.
- Mild-hybrid system available on some European models, providing an extra 10kW under heavy load and allowing the engine to switch off during steady cruising.
- AMG models feature a unique AMG Performance steering wheel with two rotary dials, controlling drive modes or stability control presets.
You may want to check out other Mercedes-Benz hybrid cars. Have a look at our list of best hybrid cars in the Australian market.
MG MG3 - $18,990
Top of the charts, baby! With almost half of the light car market in Australia under its thumb, the 2023 MG 3 is not just a pretty face. This machine doesn't just run with the big boys, it outruns them! Yes, it's a city car that's making waves and leaving a trail of dust in its wake for its competitors. And why? It's simple: a compelling price point, decent tech features, and an agreeable drive in urban settings.
Fuel economy: 6.7L/100km
Fuel tank capacity: 45L
Engine: 1.5L four-cylinder
Maximum power: 82kW
- Competitive price point and low running costs
- Sufficient drivetrain for urban environments
- 8.0-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay
- Remarkably spacious rear seats
- Four-speaker stereo in the base model, upgradeable to six in the Excite variant
Suzuki Swift Sport GLX Turbo - $31,290
What do you get when you cross a charmingly compact frame with dynamic handling? The 2023 Suzuki Swift GLX Turbo! This spirited machine feels like a love letter to Europe, zipping around with its turbocharged engine like a seasoned street performer. Yes, it's been in the Aussie market for a while, and might be showing its age a touch, but that only adds to its character. The Swift steps up to the plate where others have stepped down, ready to outshine its competition with a grin. Its surprisingly comfortable back seat and ample tech inclusions make it a strong contender in the light car segment. But let's be honest, it’s the Swift's unwavering commitment to providing a perky, fun-filled ride that really seals the deal. A bit old, you say? We call it vintage charm.
Fuel economy: 5.1L/100km
Fuel tank capacity: Information not provided
Engine: Turbocharged three-cylinder
Maximum power: 82kW
- Engaging driving dynamics
- Comprehensive driver assist technology
- Comfortable rear seating space
- Straightforward and intuitive dashboard
- 9.0-inch infotainment touchscreen
Kia Rio - $17,875
Think of the Kia Rio as the trusty sidekick that always has your back, ready to tackle any urban jungle or cross-country adventure with a steadfast spirit. Compact yet robust, its fuel efficiency is a boon for city-slickers and highway cruisers alike. While others have evolved into larger, more expensive counterparts, our Rio stays true to its subcompact roots – no frills, just raw practicality. Despite its modest power, the Rio offers a surprisingly smooth ride and is ideal for those who appreciate value without sacrificing comfort. The 2023 model may not boast major changes, but why fix what isn’t broken? Rio, you're a gem in the sub-$20,000 market.
Fuel economy: 5.6 - 6 l/100km combined
Fuel tank capacity: 45L tank
Engine: 1.4 L 4-cylinder, 1.0 L turbocharged (GT-Line)
Maximum power: 74 kW
- 15-inch wheels
- Automatic headlights
- Rear-view camera with parking sensors
- 8.0-inch infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto
- Optional safety features such as forward-collision warning with automated emergency braking, LED headlights
Love the classics? These have been bestsellers since 2022!
**Prices are subject to change. Always check the manufacturer’s website for live pricing.**
1. KIA Picanto GT - $19,990
The KIA Picanto is the perfect choice for anyone looking for an affordable compact hatch. The sharp look, striking design and intelligent connectivity make this car a must-have for city dwellers on a budget, coming in at just $19,990 before on-road costs. It’s also the most fuel-efficient model on this list (excluding the Tesla).
Fuel economy: 4.8 l/100km combined
Fuel tank capacity: 35 L
Engine: 1.0 L 3-cylinder
Maximum power: 74 kW
- 16” alloy wheels
- Energy-saving LED daytime running lights for added safety
- 8" infotainment system
- Wireless connectivity t
- USB charging and 12V power
If you're looking for the brand's hybrid option, check out Kia's hybrid SUV here.
2. Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport - $28,866
The new Corolla Hatch Ascent Sport is the perfect car for those who love the compact nature of a hatchback but also enjoy a smooth drive. Packed with the latest Toyota performance and safety technology it’s lighter and more efficient. This sporty hatchback has been designed to hug the road while still offering you surprising comfort no matter what the journey throws at you.
Fuel economy: 6 l/100km combined
Fuel tank capacity: 43 to 50 L
Engine: 1.8 L 4-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder
Maximum power: 90 to 125 kW
- Smart technology with an 8" colour touchscreen with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™️
- Sporty 18” alloys
- Chrome exhaust tips (ZR)
- Privacy glass that keeps the world from looking in (SX and ZR)
- Advanced safety features with the Toyota Safety Sense, Pre-Collision Safety System, Lane Trace Assist, and the intelligent Road Sign Assist (designed to recognise Australian speed signs and alert you when it's time to change your speed)
3. Subaru Impreza 2.0iL AWD Hatch - $31,245
Subaru Impreza is bristling with extras and a myriad of standard inclusions that other brands consider optional. A reliable hatchback, a drive in a Subaru Impreza is far from ‘standard’ – helping you enjoy your ride while on the road.
Fuel economy: 7.2 l/100km combined
Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
Fuel tank capacity: 50 L
Maximum power: 115 kW
- Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
- 2.0L horizontally-opposed, Boxer engine
- Clever safety systems, including the EyeSight® Driver Assist system and reverse camera
- Integrated infotainment system with 8" touchscreen
- Electronic parking brake
- Luxurious heated front seats
- Two convenient USB ports in the front centre console
4. Mazda 3 G25 Evolve SP - $31,490
The Mazda3 hatch is a great car for a spirited driver that wishes to revel in their adventurous side. With luxurious features, it is one of the most reliable hatchbacks in Australia at a mid-range price, making it an excellent family car.
Fuel economy: 6.2-6.6 l/100km combined
Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
Fuel tank capacity: 51 L
Maximum power: 139 kW
- Black 18-Inch alloy wheels
- Stylish black grille and black exterior mirrors
- Advanced keyless entry
- 360° view monitor
- Exceptional sound no matter where you go with Bose® speakers
- Intelligent safety features with the Blind Spot Monitoring and Driver Attention Alert
5. Honda Civic VTi-L - $33,044
We knew the new Honda Civic Hatchback had to be as sleek on the outside as it was seamless on the inside. Every inch of this car has been carefully designed to give you a limitless amount of confidence and joy from the moment you first drive home.
Fuel economy: 6.1 l/100km combined
Fuel tank capacity: 47 L
Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder
Maximum power: 127 kW
- Powerful 131kW VTEC Turbo engine
- Advanced safety systems by Honda Sensing to be your extra pair of ‘eyes’ on the road
- Stylish black leatherette seats with red accented suede
- Bose® premium audio speaks for a superior sound experience
- 18-inch alloy wheels
6. Ford Fiesta ST - $33,490
A hot-hatch in every sense of the word, the 2022 Ford Fiesta ST is more than just a car. It combines power, agility and technology to create a driving experience that is as much fun as possible. Complete with access to the FordPass app – the app helps you locate, lock and control the temperature settings of your car remotely.
Fuel tank capacity: 45 L
Fuel economy: 6.3 l/100km combined
Engine: 1.5 L 3-cylinder
Maximum power: 147 kW
- 8" touch screen digital display
- 12.3" full LCD digital instrument cluster
- Energy-efficient taillights will keep you stylish and noticeable during the day and night
- Stylish and comfortable Ford Performance Seats
- Access to the FordPass app – the app helps you locate your vehicle, lock and unlock the doors, and even start the engine remotely to heat or cool the cabin to the last known setting.
7. SKODA Monte Carlo - $34,190
Skoda Monte Carlo's wonderfully sleek design is eye-catching both in the interior and exterior. The higher-performance variant of Skoda’s light car staple is a more upmarket, highly specified, and powerful car that you will be proud to show the crew.
Fuel economy: 5.5 l/100km combined
Fuel tank capacity: 50 L
Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder
Maximum power: 110 kW
- All the safety features you can expect from SKODA including lane assist
- Wireless connectivity
- Virtual cockpit
- Wireless charging mobile phones
- Extra-large 9.2" Infotainment
- Wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto smartphone mirroring (added extra)
8. Volkswagen Golf GTI - $34,690
The new Golf GTI is an adventure-ready hatchback, built for those who want to take their passion for the open road to new heights. With a full digital revamp, the latest state-of-the-art safety systems from Volkswagen (IQ.DRIVE2) and an incredible driving experience - it's no wonder that the Golf GTI remains one of the best hatchbacks on the Australian market. If you’re after something a little more powerful, you might like to consider the slightly more expensive Volkswagen Golf R.
Fuel tank capacity: 50 to 55 L
Fuel economy: 5.8-7.8 l/100km combined
Engine: 1.4 L 4-cylinder, 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- GTI interior and exterior styling
- 18"Alloy wheels
- LED front fog lights
- Added comfort and safety with adaptive chassis control
- Metallic and pearl effect paint
- 2.0 litre turbocharged TSI engine that will take you from 0-100 in 6.4 seconds.
- Wireless charge station for your mobile phone
9. Hyundai i30 N - $49,203
The new i30 N is everything you’ve been looking for in a performance hatchback. It’s the first true high-performance hatchback, with a dramatic design and race-inspired handling that's fast and agile. With a host of advanced safety features, you drive with confidence with a Hyundai i30 N.
Fuel economy: 8.5 l/100km combined
Fuel tank capacity: 50 L
Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- 19” alloy wheels
- Energy-saving LED daytime running lights
- Increased front brake discs measuring 360mm
- Twin outlet active sport’s exhaust
- Superior safety features with Hyundai’s unique blind-spot collision warning, driver attention warning and lane following assist
10. Tesla Model 3 - $64,662
The Tesla Model 3 is a compact executive sedan that is battery-powered and fully electric. It’s no surprise that since early 2020, it’s been the best-selling electric car in world history, and, in June 2021, became the first electric car to pass the 1 million global sales milestone. Full of all the futuristic technological features you can expect from Tesla, you'll be delighted every time you get behind the wheel.
Range: 559 to 681 km battery-only
Battery: 60-82 kWh 360 V lithium-ion
Acceleration: 0-100 km/h: 3.3 to 6.1 seconds
Max speed: 225 to 261 km/h
- Tesla’s autopilot's advanced safety and convenience features
- Use your smartphone as a key
- Access all driver controls in the central 15” touchscreen
- The all-glass roof extends from front to back, creating a sense of openness for every seat
- 20” Überturbine Wheels and Performance Brakes
- Carbon fibre spoiler
When you’re deciding which hatchback is right for you, make sure to carefully budget to ensure you can afford both the purchase price of the car and all the running costs associated with it (and check out our helpful blog on how much to spend on a car!) Also, if reducing your environmental impact is important to you, be sure to check out the Green Vehicle Guide
If you’re looking for the best way to finance a hatchback, we can help.
Driva secures you finance for used and new cars, so whether you’re buying from a dealership or an online private seller, we’ll find your best-personalised rates from our panel of more than 30 lenders. We can also organise finance for both individual and commercial customers - from secured vehicle loans to novated leases, Driva is your one-stop shop for all your finance needs.
Got more questions?
What sets apart a sedan from a hatchback?
Sedans are typically 4-door passenger vehicles, featuring a separate boot space and a three-box body structure. On the other hand, hatchbacks, while also 4-door, are built on a two-box body framework with an upward-opening rear gate.
Which hatchback holds the crown for being the most powerful?
Boasting a 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine, the Hyundai i20 takes the throne as the most powerful hatchback in India. Its engine churns out a hefty 120 PS and peaks at 172 Nm torque.
As of 2023, which hatchback has the highest sales numbers in Australia?
The Hyundai i30 proudly sits at the top, recognised as the best-selling hatchback in Australia for the year 2023 as at the time of writing. More accurate statistics will be available closer to the end of the year.
What hatchback holds the title for the highest power output ever?
The Mercedes-AMG A45 S has set records, deemed as the most potent hot hatch ever produced. Its performance echoes the prowess of BMW M5s from the early 2000s, yet it remains surprisingly fuel-efficient, boasting 32.5mpg in mixed driving conditions.
Which hatchback offers the most generous boot capacity?
The Volkswagen Golf outshines its rivals with the most boot space among hatchbacks. Thanks to the lack of division between the trunk and the interior, hatchbacks generally offer more cargo space than sedans. This characteristic enables the fitting of larger items into a hatchback's trunk, and the back seats can also be folded down to create even more storage room.